Faculty and staff telephones are generally configured to allow long distance dialing with the cost billed back to the department. Local calling is free.
On-campus residence hall telephones aren’t allowed to dial long distance, but can dial outbound 1-800, outbound collect, or outbound third-number billed calls. Local calling is free from residence hall telephones.
- 2911 for Campus Security
- 2000 for SPU campus information (SUB Unicom Desk)
- 9 + 7-digit or 10-digit number for off campus, local calls
- The last 4 digits for SPU phone numbers
- 9 + 1 + 800 (or 888, 866, 877) + number for toll-free calls
- 9 + 1 + area Code + number + calling card number at tone for long distance.
- 9 + 011 + country code + telephone number including area code for international calls.
There are many pre-paid or credit card based services that are available to on-campus residence hall students. The services change frequently so it’s best to shop around. Several large merchants (Costco, Walmart, Sam’s Club) also provide discount calling cards.
Long distance dialing in the greater Seattle area can be confusing. From the SPU campus, all 206 area code calls are free local service. However, some area codes (such as 425, 253, 360) have mixed calling restrictions depending on the area being called. Some of these may be local calls, others may be long distance calls.
International Long Distance Calling can be complicated depending on the country being called. You may wish to contact the CIS HelpDesk
for assistance in international long distance dialing.
(other technology resources for residence hall students)