President Eaton Engages |
One of Seattle Pacific University President Philip Eaton's priorities
is communicating the institution's vision for "engaging the culture
and changing the world" to local and national audiences. The following is a
sample of his recent writings, speaking engagements and professional
- Washington Association of
Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU) Board Meeting.
January 9, 2001, Seattle. President Eaton is a member of the WAICU Board.
- Homecoming President's Luncheon Address. February 3, 2001, on
campus. "City on a Hill: Why Being Grace-Filled Matters." President Eaton
spoke to alumni and friends of the University at this annual event
showcasing the vision of SPU.
- Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) Board of
Directors Meeting. February 5-7, 2001, Orlando, Florida. President Eaton
will be vice chair of the CCCU Board this coming year.
- Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) National
Forum. February 7-10, 2001, Orlando, Florida. SPU was represented by
President Eaton and a leadership team.
- Meeting of the Association of Free Methodist Educational
Institutions (AFMEI). February 18-20, Palm Springs, California.
President Eaton chaired this meeting of the bishops of the Free Methodist
Church, the presidents of all the member institutions,
and the board chairs of those
- Meeting of the Association of Presidents of Independent Colleges and
Universities (APICU). February 23-24, Phoenix, Arizona. President Eaton
gathered with presidents from 60 independent institutions to discuss issues
facing higher education.
- Adult Sunday School Series. March and April, First Free
Methodist Church, Seattle. "How to Change the World: Four Stories From the
- Christian College Consortium (CCC) Annual Meeting of Presidents.
March 21-24, Palm Desert, California. President Eaton is a member of the CCC
- Washington CEO Interview. April 2001. "Teetering at the Top."
President Eaton was interviewed for a feature article in this monthly
business magazine on how Washington state universities will fund their
futures. See www.spu.edu/president.
- Greater Seattle Community Breakfast Address. April 4, 2001,
Sheraton Hotel, Seattle. "The Idea of Character." President Eaton spoke to
nearly 900 business and community leaders at this annual event, where
William Bennett gave the keynote
address. See www.spu.edu/president.
- Chapel Address. April 10,
on campus. "Our Stories/God's Story:
Writing a Life Story in a Postmodern World."
- Community Development Roundtable Address. April 16, 2001,
Seattle. "Character Formation and Culture Shaping: A New Mandate for Higher
Education." President Eaton spoke to a group of key regional leaders.