Why choose SPU’s Master in Marriage and Family Therapy?
Graduate from a program accredited by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- AAMFT has the nation’s highest clinical standards in the field of mental health training.
- Students who graduate from an AAMFT-accredited program are highly sought by employers.
- In the State of Washington, 500 of clinical hours and 100 of supervision hours done during your master's program count toward licensure.
Develop the highest clinical skills in working with both individuals and couples/families.
- Marriage and Family Therapy is distinctive as the only field of study that not only trains you to work effectively with individuals but also with relationship groups.
- MFT students and clinicians realize that we learn, hurt, and ultimately heal in the context of relationships – no one exists or becomes who they are on their own.
Seek a holistic and integrated approach to healing.
- Family therapy was the first mental health field to develop clinical theory and clinical interventions, maximizing the strengths clients bring to their growth and healing versus focusing solely on pathology.
- SPU’s MFT program believes that the mind, body, relationships, and spirituality are all parts of a person’s experience of life and health.
Live out the belief that a therapist is only as good as they are emotionally healthy themselves.
- SPU’s program has a strong person of the therapist component. While learning theory and skills, students apply these concepts through discussion and writing.
- This aids students in discovering beliefs, meanings and experiences that may influence their proficiency as a therapist for the positive or for the negative.
Learn in a supportive environment.
- SPU’s program establishes a learning community through a cohort model: students enter the program, travel through the program, and take classes together, providing study and support partnerships.
- The faculty is available for frequent conversations and fosters a respectful and open relationship between all students and faculty.
- The core values undergirding SPU’s MFT program are ORCA – openness, respect, curiosity, and accountability to power.