Education loans are borrowing on future earnings, investments in your future. They must be repaid. Information about student loans including maximum annual and aggregate federal student loan amounts is provided in Managing Your Financial Aid.
Students and parents of students are advised that if they enter into a Title IV, HEA loan, the loan data will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system.
Seattle Pacific University Code of Conduct for Student Loans
SPU officers, employees and agents of SPU who have loan-related responsibilities uphold the following items required by federal regulation:
- SPU does not and will not assign alternative loan lenders to first-time borrowers; borrowers have the right and ability to select any alternative loan lender of their choice, regardless of whether they are included in the SPU alternative loan lender list. Further, SPU will certify loans from any alternative loan lender selected by the borrower.
- SPU does not accept private loans conditioned upon using the lender for federal loans.
- SPU does not and will not receive revenue or enter into revenue-sharing arrangements with lenders.
- SPU employees do not and will not accept gifts of more than nominal value from lenders, guarantors and loan servicers.
- SPU employees do not accept from a lender, or affiliate of any lender any fee, payment or other financial benefit as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or contract to provide services to or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.
- Seattle Pacific University’s employees do not currently serve on any lending institution’s advisory board. When and if SFS staff does sit on an advisory board, they are prohibited from receiving anything of value for serving.
- SPU does not participate in opportunity pools with lenders. (Opportunity pools are defined as a private education loan made by a lender to a student (or the student's family) that involves a payment by the institution to the lender for extending credit to the student.)
- SPU does not and will not allow any lender to identify themselves as employees of SPU; SPU does not allow employees of lenders to work in or provide staffing for SFS.
- SPU prohibits lenders from branding any loans with the identifying markings of SPU.
Last Updated: 1/10/2014