Urban Youth Leadership Academy
UYLA works alongside urban youth cultivating their vision for a purpose, eqipping them for leadership, and empowering them for action.
Urban Roots is a leadership program for emerging high school leaders who want to explore their identity, purpose, and environment as they embrace the challenge of servant-leadership in their communities.
Urban Roots uses dialogical and experiential learning, narratives, and mentoring relationships to empower emerging urban youth to live transformed lives as influential and visionary servant leaders in the global urban village.
Focusing on faith, community, and leadership, students encounter cultural norms such as high expectations, critical thinking, and healthy community.
UR Wednesdays and Thursdays take place:
- In the months of July and August
- 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (dinner provided)
- Wednesdays at Lake Burien Presbyterian Church
- Thursdays at Seattle Union Gospel Mission's Youth Reach Out Center
Leadership Retreat closes each summer with a weekend of holistic enrichment at Young Life Breakaway Lodge in Gearheart, Oregon. Youth, young adults, and community leaders have rare opportunities to experience times of community building, reflection, and empowerment before heading into a new school year.
Uniquely Equipped to lead
Urban youth are uniquely equipped for global-urban leadership. They grow up in multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-lingual contexts. They:
- Know how to navigate life's complexities
- Know how to build relationships across cultural boundaries
- Know the value of community
- Demonstrate determination and resiliency
UYLA provides leadership development and training encouraging multicultural youth and young adults to engage in their communities, pursue higher education, and serve in the global urban context perpetuating the cycle of community development.
UYLA works in collaboration with youth development organizations and local leaders to create a community culture of servant leadership.
- Union Gospel Mission Youth Reach Out Center
- Urban Impact
- Cry Out
- YES Foundation of White Center