The Certificate Program for Nurse Educators is a four-course program that covers curricular topics in nursing education ranging from teaching and learning strategies to professional role issues and curriculum development. It is designed for nurses with a baccalaureate or master's degree who work in academic or clinical practice settings.
Course schedules are flexible to meet the needs of working nurses.
Participants will receive graduate-level credit for each course successfully completed. Those who complete the coursework for the entire program will receive a certificate of achievement from SPU. Completed credits may directly transfer into a MSN degree at SPU.
Benefits and Features
- Small class size with personal attention
- Courses taught by expert SPU nursing faculty
- Courses designed for adult learners
- Certificate awarded upon completion of the program
- Three graduate-level credits awarded per course
- Classes meet at times convenient for the working adult
- Preparation for the National League for Nursing nurse educator certification program
Role Development for Nurse Educators
- Examine the role of the educator in practice and academic settings
- Explore topics such as curriculum development, legal and ethical issues for educators, and curriculum and program evaluation
Course Development and Teaching Strategies
- Learn course development preparation tips
- Practice with innovative teaching strategies
- Develop a philosophy of teaching and learning
Teaching with Technology* (Online Course)
- Review current approaches to the planning, use, and evaluation of media and computer-learning materials
Nurse Educator Internship
- Apply knowledge and skills in practical settings under the supervision of a faculty educator
- Develop teaching and learning activities, coach in clinical settings, facilitate seminars, guide case analysis, and evaluate learning
*With pre-approval, participants may transfer in a course with similar content and description.
How to Apply
For more information about the Certificate Program Preparing Nurse Educators, contact the M.S.N. program assistant in the School of Health Sciences, or mail a request for information to:
Seattle Pacific University
School of Health Sciences — Nurse Educator
3307 3rd Avenue West, Suite 106
Seattle, WA 98119