Director, SPU Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Publisher and Editor of Image
B.A., Hillsdale College; M.A., Oxford University
Specialties: Contemporary literature, creative nonfiction
Gregory Wolfe has been editing one publication or another since his junior high school literary magazine (which was printed on something called a mimeograph machine with purple, toxic-smelling ink). For the past 20 years he has edited a quarterly journal, IMAGE: Art, Faith, Mystery, which has been based at SPU for the past decade.
As IMAGE evolved, it branched out from a journal to a wide-ranging arts organization that sponsors a summer program called the Glen Workshop, a postgraduate fellowship, conferences and seminars, and an active presence on the internet, including a daily blog, biweekly e-newsletter, discussion board, and more.
In 2004, Wolfe founded the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program at SPU. He enjoys working with budding poets, novelists, and creative nonfiction writers. In Winter Quarter 2011 he will teach a new undergraduate course: “True Confessions: Spiritual Memoir from Augustine to Anne Lamott.”
In 2005, Wolfe served as a judge for the National Book Awards. He has published essays, reviews, and articles in numerous journals, including Commonweal and First Things. His essays have been anthologized in collections such as The Best Christian Writing and The Best Catholic Writing.
A profile of Wolfe by Lauren Winner was recently published in the March, 2010 issue of Christianity Today.
I have a number of books in the pipeline. A collection of my essays on art, literature, and faith, Beauty Will Save the World: Art, Faith, and the Vision of Christian Humanism, will be published by ISI Books in late 2010 or early 2011. I am also in the process of editing the selected poems of an obscure 20th century American poet named Dunstan Thompson. Finally, I’m gearing up to assemble a second collection of my editorial statements from IMAGE journal; the working title of that book is Thirty Seconds Away.
- Bearing the Mystery: Twenty Years of IMAGE (Eerdmans, 2009), editor.
- God With Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas, co-editor (Paraclete, 2007)
- Intruding Upon the Timeless: Meditations on Art, Faith, and Mystery (Square Halo Books, 2003).
- Sacred Passion: The Art of William Schickel (University of Notre Dame Press, 1998).
- The New Religious Humanists: A Reader ([editor], The Free Press, 1997).
- Malcolm Muggeridge: A Biography (paperback: ISI Books, 2004; hardcover: Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B Eerdmans, 1997; London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1995).
Gregory Wolfe's C.V.
« View All Faculty