The Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program has been established by the Department of Defense to promote the education and recruitment of undergraduate and graduate students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields. This program is used to recruit and to retain civilian scientists and engineers to work at Department of Defense agencies and laboratories. The Department of Defense will offer this scholarship for service to individuals who have demonstrated outstanding ability and special aptitude for a career in scientific and engineering research and product development.
- Starting salary/stipend ranging from $22,500 for undergraduates, $31,000 for graduate students, and $38,000 for doctoral students.
- Full tuition and related education fees.
- Book allowance of $1,000.
- Paid summer internships.
- Career opportunities after graduation.
- The evaluation of applicants will be based on review of their academic records, personal statement, references and graduate examination scores (from graduate students only).
- SMART Scholarships will be awarded based on individual Department of Defense laboratory or organizational needs.
- Open only to citizens and nationals of the United States. Persons who hold permanent resident status are not eligible.
- Students must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be enrolled as a student in a regionally accredited university or college
- The 2011 application deadline is December 1, 2010.
- Application information and materials can be found [here]
- For further assistance, contact Dr. Margaret Diddams (email@example.com) at The Center for Scholarship and Faculty Development.
Please note: It is very important to refer to the SMART Scholarship website for specific and complete information regarding this scholarship.