The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program seeks to provide a continuing source of highly qualified individuals to the fields of science, math, and engineering.
As many as 300 undergraduate scholarships of up to $7,500 will be awarded in the spring of 2009 to be applied to tuition, fees, books, room and board for the 2010-11 school year.
- Planning a career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering.
- Planning to pursue an advanced degree.
- Students who plan to study medicine are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
- Outstanding academic performance.
- Be a current sophomore or junior pursuing a bachelor's degree on a full-time basis.
- College GPA of a "B" equivalent.
- Upper fourth of his or her class.
- U.S. citizen, resident alien, or a U.S. national.
- Nominated by his or her university.
- Students must apply through a faculty representative. The SPU faculty representative is Professor Benjamin McFarland, Biochemistry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The SPU application deadline is January 15, 2011.
- Nominees and faculty representatives are notified in March 2010.
It is very important to refer to the web site listed below for specific and complete information regarding this scholarship.
Web site: www.act.org/goldwater/