Faculty Advising Resources
Faculty are often called upon to help students make decisions about their choice of major or vocation. Often this occurs in individual advising appointments when students are facing course registration. Several faculty have asked for resources to help students clarify their vocational direction, a difficult task for most traditional-aged students as they struggle to define an identity.
Below are links to two worksheets
designed to help students identify interests. The 4-Year Career Plan is
an excellent tool to help students think about things they could be doing
to further their career goals. Also, several questions are suggested
which may be useful to you in faculty advising appointments as you seek
to help students identify their interests, skills, and sense of vocational
CCC Resources to use with students:
Worksheet for students (PDF): What
Do You Enjoy Studying?
Worksheet for students(PDF): "I
Want To Work With People"
College & Career Success Checklist (PDF):
Four Year Plan
What Can I Do with This Major?: SPU Major Sheets
Suggested questions for undecided students:
- What was your single most favorite class in high school? What did
you like about it?
- What classes have you found interesting (both at SPU and in high school)
- What do you love to do in your spare time? (hobbies, types of books
you like to read, etc.)
- What do you feel passionately about?
- What would you do if money were not an issue and you knew you could
- Think back over your life, including childhood - What are 3 things
you enjoyed doing and felt good about (like it was an accomplishment)?
(Faculty: Listen for skills and interests which students articulate
as they describe the accomplishments.)
Office hours: 8 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday Walk-in hours: 2 – 4 pm Monday – Friday
2nd Floor, Student Union Building 3307 Third Avenue W., Seattle, WA 98119-1957 206-281-2485