Admission Information: Master in Teaching
Mathematics and Science (MTMS)
Applicants will have at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. The MTMS program admits candidates annually for Summer Session.
Applicants must submit the following items to the Graduate Center:
- Application and $50 application processing fee.
- Official transcript(s) from each college/university attended.
- Personal statement (500 words). The statement should reference the School of Education Conceptual Framework, which centers on four essential commitments of educators: service, leadership, competence, and character. Address your own development on each commitment as a future teacher. List any significant experiences working with P–12 students in a school or other setting. Please include the length of time of each experience. Bullet form is acceptable.
- GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) scores.*
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Passing WEST-B scores.
- Applicants may use SAT (post 2005) and ACT scores to meet part or all of the WEST-B requirements. Please contact the Graduate Center if you have any questions.
- Minimum SAT scores required: Math 515, Reading 500, Writing 490.
- Minimum ACT scores required: Math 22, Reading 22, Writing 8.
- Passing WEST-E score(s). The WEST-E website provides an explanation of which test to choose. If you wish, check with SPU’s certification officer to verify that you are taking the correct test.
- Endorsement verification form.
- Moral Character and Personal Fitness Policy form (found in the online application).
- Character and Fitness Supplement form (found in the online application).
*The GRE or MAT will be waived for students who achieved at least a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or a 3.0 in the last 45 quarter credits of completed coursework, or who have already completed a master’s or doctoral degree.
MTMS applicants who meet all of the application requirements, including an initial screening of their complete application file, will be interviewed. All correspondence regarding the interview process will be carried out by email using the address provided in the application. Please set your email filters accordingly.