To apply for a Business, Accounting, or Economics major, you must make formal application. You'll need to be admitted to a major before taking most upper-division business courses. Admission is selective and based upon prior academic performance.
Application to Major
To meet the application requirements for admission to an SBE major, you must:
- Complete a minimum of 45 college-level credits (sophomore standing).
- Complete at least 15 credits in accounting, business, or economics courses in SPU's School of Business and Economics. (Note: 10 credits for junior or senior transfer students.)
- Have either a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA from all institutions and a minimum of 2.7 cumulative GPA in all business courses at SPU, or an SBE GPA of 3.0. (Attainment of the minimum GPA standard does not guarantee admission to a major, since the total number of admitted students is limited by capacity.)
The application deadline for majors in the School is January 20 each year.
Applications are only accepted between December 20th and January 20th each winter quarter. Apply for a major in SBE.
Once Admitted to SBE
Once you are admitted to a major in the School of Business and Economics, you will attend an orientation evening held shortly after admission. This mandatory orientation will include information on the School’s mission and practical tips on succeeding in your major. All newly admitted majors are required to attend this event.
Writing competency requirement. As an Accounting, Business Administration, or Economics major, you must show excellence in writing. To ensure you are well-equipped after leaving SPU, you must attain one of the following:
- Fulfill the university writing requirement based on pre-college indicators, or if you are a transfer student (i.e., not required to take ENG 2201) earn a C (2.0) or better in a college-level composition course.
- Earn a grade of B (3.0) or better in ENG 2201.
If you earn a B- (2.7) or below in ENG 2201, you must complete BUS 2601 “Business Writing Tutorial” and earn a grade of B (3.0) or better.
Transfer students who have not previously taken a college composition course must take the English Placement exam, and they must meet the same requirements outlined here.
Computer competency requirement. Demonstration of computer competency is required of all students graduating with an SBE major. You can document this by passing BUS 1700, or by passing a competency exam covering the equivalent.
Freshmen and Transfer “Direct Admissions”
A select group of highly qualified students are admitted directly to School of Business and Economics majors upon acceptance to Seattle Pacific University.
Incoming freshmen should identify their intended SBE major on their application for admission to SPU, and they will automatically be considered for direct admission.
If you will be a freshman and identify your intended SBE major when applying for admission to SPU, your declaration of interest does not commit you to a major within the School of Business and Economics. It assures you that an advisor from within the school will be assigned to you, and you’ll receive information about various School activities.
Transfer students who have completed four lower-division core courses within their intended SBE major can also choose to be considered for direct admission when they apply for admission to SPU.
Direct admission is highly competitive. Transfer students not admitted to SBE upon acceptance to SPU are encouraged to apply when they come to campus. Freshmen are encouraged to follow the traditional major application process, as well.
Application to Business Minors
To be admitted to a minor in the School of Business and Economics, you must have attained at least sophomore standing with 45 or more college-level credits and have a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA from all institutions you’ve attended. Minor applications are accepted year-round.
Apply for an SBE minor.