Associate Professor of Music; Director of Gospel Choir and Worship Arts Ensemble
Education: BA, Madonna University, 1984; MM, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1987; DMA, University of Michigan, 1994. At SPU since 2004.
Dr. Stephen Newby is a composer, conductor, gospel/jazz vocalist, and pianist. He is a native of Detroit, Michigan, and received his Bachelor of Arts in Vocal Music Education and Flute Performance from Madonna College in Livonia, Michigan. He received a Master of Music in Jazz Composition and Arranging from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. There, his studies in composition were under the supervision of Robert Sutton, Frederick Tillis, Jeff Holmes, and Robert Stern. He returned to Michigan to complete his Doctor of Musical Arts in Composition degree at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. There, he studied with William Albright, Michael Daugherty, George Wilson, Fred Lerdahl, and Pulitzer Prize winners William Bolcom and Leslie Bassett.
In addition to directing the University Ministries and the Center for Worship staff, Dr. Newby serves as director for the SPU Gospel Choir and the Worship Arts Ensemble, and he leads men's ministry on campus. He has served as a worship pastor for more than 25 years in Michigan, Massachusetts, Washington, and California.
- 2012 Prayer Song (trumpet, string orchestra and Soprano solo)
- 2010 Blessed are the Poor in Spirit (Music for John Perkins Film)
- 2010 Our Enduring Spirit (for Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Choir)
- 2005 Rondo Oratorio (chamber orchestra, SATB soloists and chorus)
- 1998 Montage for Martin (chamber orchestra, rhythm section and chamber singers)
- 2005 Precious Lord (choir, string orchestra and alto solo)
- 2004 Gospel Cantata for Easter (choir/brass quintet and rhythm section)
- 2000 Testimonials (woodwind quintet and choir)
- 2012 TKTG: Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs
- 2010 TKTG: Psalms, Laments and Meditations
- 2009 The Kingdom and The Gospel
- 2007 We Have A Home
- 2005 Promise Keepers Live in America
Please view Dr. Newby's C.V. (PDF) for additional information.
Why I Teach at SPU
Stephen Newby, Associate Professor of Music and Director of University Ministries and the Center for Worship
"I love to teach music at SPU because I get to equip and nurture the next generation of creators, innovators, inventors, and artists. Teaching is an extraordinary gift from God. I believe the Wise Creator is the giver of every good and perfect gift. Therefore, I am blessed to teach."