ELEMENTARY CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
For a complete overview of the Residency Teacher Certification Program, visit the School of Education in this Undergraduate Catalog.
- Official admission to SPU.
- Sophomore standing
- A cumulative 2.8 GPA, or 3.0 GPA in last 30 credits.
- Starting a
file in the School of Education (contact the education office to obtain paperwork).
Methods Quarter (Note: Methods Quarter will be offered Autumn quarter only.)
- Successful completion of the Foundations Quarter.
- Junior standing (90 credits).
- Acceptance into major.
- Admission to the School of Education.
- A cumulative 3.0 GPA, or 3.3 in the last 45 credits.
- Successful completion all core courses in the Integrated Studies major.
- Pass School of Education interview (if taking Foundations autumn 2012 or later).
- Pass ENG 3301 with a grade of C or better (if admitted to the University autumn 2012 or later).
- Passing EDRD 2000 with a grade of "C" or better.
- Fingerprint clearance.
- Passing scores on WEST-B
- Taking the appropriate WEST-E test(s).
EDRD 2000 Reading 1: Psychology of Reading (3 credits).
- EDRD 2000 must be taken before Methods Quarter.
EDU 3942, September Experience (1 credit).
- EDU 3942 must be taken by all students pursuing Elementary Certification.
- EDU 3942 must be taken after Foundations Quarter and before a student is scheduled to take Integrated Quarter.
Integrated and Internship Quarters
- Successful completion of the Methods Quarter.
- Completing 15 upper-division credits in a major.
- Receiving a passing
score on the appropriate WEST-E test.
- Participating in an internship placement interview.
- Completion of EDU 3942.
- Senior standing (135 credits).
Students need to plan to pass the appropriate WEST-E test(s) at least ONE quarter prior to registering for Integrated Quarter because passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated Quarter.
Integrated and Internship quarters must be taken sequentially in the same academic year (Winter-Spring), and a grade of "B" or better is required in Elementary Internship A and B.
Requirements for the Elementary Certification